In pictures: Team India

i

New Zealand players celebrates the wicket of India's batsman Rohit Sharma during the ICC T20 World Cup match played in Nagpur on Tuesday. Photo: PTI

i

Nagpur:New Zealand bowler Nathan McCullum celebrates the wicket of India's batsman Shikhar Dhawan during the ICC T20 World Cup match played in Nagpur on Tuesday. Photo: Shashank Parade/PTI

i

Kolkata: Pakistan's captain Shahid Afridi shakes hands with Virat Kohli during their training session at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata on Friday. Photo: Swapan Mahapatra/PTI

i

Kolkata: Pakistan' pacer Md Amir checks out Virat Kohli's bat while captain Shahid Afridi walks past during their training session at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata on Friday. Photo: Swapan Mahapatra/PTI

i

Dhoni walks back to the pavilion after losing his wicket against Pakistan at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata on Friday. Photo: Swapan Mahapatra/PTI

i

Hardik Pandaya celebrates after a close win against Bangladesh. Photo: Swapan Mahapatra/PTI

i

Hardik Pandaya celebrates after a close win against Bangladesh. Photo: Swapan Mahapatra/PTI

i

i

Bengaluru: Cricketer Virat Kohli poses with young cricketers as Hardik Pandya clicks their photo during a training session at Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru on Tuesday. Photo: Shailendra Bhojak/PTI

i

Bengaluru: Cricketer Virat Kohli signs autograph for fans during a training session at Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru on Tuesday. Photo: Shailendra Bhojak/PTI

i

Mohali: Australian player Maxwell takes run during their World Cup T20 match against India at PCA Cricket Stadium, Mohali on Sunday. Photo: Shahbaz Khan/PTI

i

Mohali: Indian batsman Virat Kohli plays a shot during the ICC World T20 match against Australia at PCA cricket stadium in Mohali on Sunday. Photo: Shahbaz Khan/PTI

i

Mohali: Indian batsman Virat Kohli celebrates after winning the ICC World T20 match against Australia at PCA cricket stadium in Mohali on Sunday. Photo: Shahbaz Khan/PTI

i

Mohali: Indian batsman Virat Kohli celebrates after winning the ICC World T20 match against Australia at PCA cricket stadium in Mohali on Sunday. Photo: Shahbaz Khan/PTI

INDIA AT WT20

In pictures: Team India's spectacular run at the ICC World T20

Sahil Bhalla @IMSahilBhalla

In a span of 12 days, starting on 15 March, India went from being all out for just 79 against a formidable New Zealand team to Kohli's defiant innings against Australia steering India into the semi-finals.

India's first match, against New Zealand, was a nightmare for the batsmen. New Zealand, won the toss and chose to bat in Nagpur and that backfired. Guptill, Williamson and Munro couldn't get . Constant wickets helped India contain the Kiwis to a chaseable 126 runs. The problem with India wasn't the bowling. It was the batters. Sharma, Dhawan, Raina, Yuvraj, Jadeja, Pandya, none of them got into the double digits. And with wickets falling almost every over, the run rate kept climbing and with that India's victory slipped away.

Next up was Pakistan, at the home of Indian cricket, Eden Gardens in Kolkata. Rain threatened to ruin the 'match' of the tournament but luckily for all us fans, it only cut two overs. An 18-over affair and Pakistan batting first. This time, the bowlers did an even more impressive job, limiting the Men in Green to a mere 118 runs. Needing less than a run-a-ball, the Indian batsmen, led by Virat Kohli dispatched the Pakistani bowlers all around the field and won the match with 4.1 overs to spare.

Bangladesh was third up. Winning the toss and putting India in to bat, Kohli & Co didn't fail to impress. With support from everyone - Sharma, Dhawan, Kohli, Raina, Pandya, Dhoni and Jadeja - India put up a fighting total of 146 in their 20 overs. Then came the reply. What a reply it was. Led by Tamim Iqbal, Bangladesh at one point seemed like they would snatch victory away from the hosts. In a topsy-turvy finish though, India's fielding and bowling came to the fore and stole the victory away from Bangladesh. Bangladesh ended up losing by a solitary run.

With a semi-final spot on the line, India took on an Australian team aimed to beat the hosts in their own backyard. On a good wicket in Mohali, Australia won the toss and elected to bat and their openers didn't dissapoint with a partnership of 54 runs in just 4.2 overs. From their on and steady contributions from the others, Australia put up a defendable 160 runs. In came India to bat and with that the determination not to lose to the reigning ODI World Cup champions. Sharma and Dhawan may not have done much but it was a Kohli show through and through. With an average of 122.83 in successful T20 run-chases, Kohli's 82 took India into the semi-finals.

All eyes will now be turned towards Mumbai and the semi-final between India and West Indies on 30 March. Will Kohli & Co turn up once again? You'll have to wait just a little bit longer to find out.

Sahil Bhalla

Sahil Bhalla @IMSahilBhalla